Estate Sale Update

14 Mar

So, I always make fun of the Mister for going to estate sales and buying me things that are broken and/or crazy. Which means it’s only fair that I also give him credit when he does well. He did a very nice job at a Family Tree sale today, getting a good deal on ACTUAL jadite, which he now knows is a lot different from green glass. He came home with a set of 6 cups and saucers–that’s just one of the set. He also picked up that swell cake tin, and dug around in a house in Crieve Hall to find the lid for the mint condition green 2.5 quart Pyrex casserole. The Mister is really upping his picking game, am I right?
002
I also hit a sale in Germantown on Wednesday and came home with a few things for the booth.
003
Yes, that’s my reflection in the mirror of that vintage barber case, which we are temporarily keeping in case we can use in in the remodel of one of our bathrooms. (We try not to hoard, but sometimes we are not successful.) And that is a genuine Inarco lady head vase from 1961–it’s little but super-cute!
Also, have you people SEEN The Betty’s hair for this upcoming season of Mad Men. The Betty is my favorite.
bettydraper This photo makes me want to cut my hair and try it. But since I am terrible at doing hair, I probably will not do that. That hair would be spectacular with this crazy new dress I got out of an attic at a Family Tree sale last week. 6 bucks, y’all!  It has little frog closures and reminds me of Mrs. Roper on Three’s Company. Which means it totally coordinates with an Enid Collins bag.
pinkdress2Brr! I almost got frostbite while the Mister took this picture. Hey, spring…how about warming up a little bit?

pinkdress3

6 Responses to “Estate Sale Update”

1. Eartha Kitsch March 15, 2013 at 12:11 am #

That dress is gorgeous! And go Mister Apron Strings! I love all of his – and your scores. And wow, Betty’s hair too. Ever since Mad Men started, I’ve been fighting the urge to do the Betty hair.

2. wacky tacky March 15, 2013 at 3:57 am #

I should say he did a great job! I LOVE jadite and it just becomes harder and harder to find. That barber cabinet is pretty awesome too. Helen Roper is a style icon; you are keeping the look alive!

3. Lisa March 15, 2013 at 1:56 pm #

That dress is SO. GREAT. Aaaah! I love the color and the pattern! Also drooling over Betty’s hair. Also proud of your mister for picking up his game estate sale wise, those are some good scores! I love family members/loved ones being in cahoots with me at estate sales, that’s twice the buying power! 🙂

4. Mark Turcotte March 15, 2013 at 3:58 pm #

Thanks y’all. Without the guidance of the master herself, I would certainly still be bringing home broken ice trays, lamps with holes in them, green glass and unlined luggage, but I’m learning. And, as you can imagine, taking her picture is something I will never refuse and often encourage..

5. rae March 16, 2013 at 1:58 am #

i love that barber cabinet! and the dress looks great.
    and i was at the family tree sale when a guy came in and said “is the jadeite still here??” i wonder if it was him!

6. Betty Crafter April 15, 2013 at 3:15 pm #

Vintage Hawaiian dresses and Enid Collins purses – 2 of my favorite things! And you are pulling it off beautifully 🙂