Friday Randomness

15 Feb

First off, the story of the kitschy Chinese glasses has gotten weird. I just got a call that the lady who purchased the shaker that matches the glasses brought it back because she said it leaked. I never tried shaking anything in it, but it is old and maybe the lid isn’t water-tight. Things aren’t really returnable at the antique mall, so I’m not sure why she brought it back, but ANYWAY…the set has been reunited. Lea, you are the winner of the drawing, so now you are welcome to the shaker (which looks SUPER-COOL, although you might want to display it rather than shake drinks…it’s not chipped or cracked so I’m not sure how it leaks) as well as the set of glasses. They really are totally cute. Email me at lwrighttn@gmail.com with your address and I will get them out to you.

grandmother 001

Lisa from She Was a Bird had a fabulous photo post today about street pictures from the 1940’s. It reminded me that I have one…it is of my grandmother and my dad on the streets of Fort Worth, TX. Check my grandmother’s killer victory roll hairdo and the peephole cut-out on her pretty dress. It had fancy flower details on both pockets and at the neckline. Wasn’t she a dish back then? My dad is looking pretty sharp, too, in his little suit. I think that she was about 20 years old here. A very pretty lady. I asked my dad for this picture when she passed away because I liked it so much.

001
All this stuff went into the booth today. Come and get it! Love those owl plaques…and the large red Pyrex bowl is really nice.
003
Here are my pretty Valentine’s day roses from my awesome husband in my favorite Weller vase (Sookie Stackhouse has the same one in her kitchen on True Blood) and in a Fiestaware pitcher. I love using pitchers as vases! I love the Mister, too.
004
This is my latest Caro-Nan…it features Memphis and says “With Love” on top. I bought it at the big Murfreesboro antique mall that is off the highway. I stopped in for a minute after taking my son to a doctor’s appointment to compare their prices to mine. People, after seeing those prices, you are getting a steal of a deal on Pyrex and jadeite from me. Run don’t walk, I’m just sayin’. I am seeing a LOT more Pyrex in antique malls than there was even two years ago and dealers are going to keep scooting those prices up. I would say it’s unfair, but the estate sale companies and flea markets you traditionally buy it from are also scooting their prices up, so it’s just going to get more expensive.

No estate sales for me today or yesterday…I’ve spent a lot lately and didn’t see anything that I couldn’t live without. If you are on the hunt, I wish you much luck! xoxo, LaurenT

6 Responses to “Friday Randomness”

1. Lisa February 16, 2013 at 12:28 am #

Your grandmother looks GORGEOUS! That dress and your dad looking off like “Yeah, there’s a photographer on this sidewalk, but there’s a CANDY STORE…ACROSS THE STREET… if anyone would pay ATTENTION…” 🙂 I also love love LOVE your roses and your Sookie-has-one-just-like-it vase (I’m sorry, that makes it even better in my little unshakable True Blood loving heart). I have a Fiesta pitcher kind of like that, but turquoise, and how pretty it looks with flowers, reminds me I need to put some in it stat! 🙂

• apronstringsvintage February 16, 2013 at 1:40 pm #

Grandmother was really pretty when she was young. When she was old, she wore her hair dyed platinum blonde in a beehive, which she paired with elaborate, ruffled full-length Hawaiian muumuu dresses. Which she wore everywhere. Including my college graduation. I had less of a sense of humor about that sort of thing back then…

2. Lisa February 16, 2013 at 1:00 am #

Maybe the shaker was missing or had a bad seal.

The owl plaques are darling. Those will go quick.

• apronstringsvintage February 16, 2013 at 2:06 am #

It has a nice shaker top, but a bad seal could be the culprit! It is really cute for display, though.

3. rae February 20, 2013 at 5:49 am #

its weird to me that they let her return it! i thought all sales were final at antique malls. strange.
    and yes that is an amazing picture of your grandmother! i have a cute one of my grandmother leaning against an old car in a bathing suit that I love.

4. Roisin Browne February 17, 2014 at 10:19 am #

Hi there,
    My name is Roisin and I work for a television production company called Waddell Media. We are based in Northern Ireland but we create a lot of content for US audiences. We’re currently developing a series about people following vintage lifestyles and the communities that form out of this shared love. I came across your blog and was wondering if you could tell me a little bit more about the vintage scene in Nashville? Do many people follow it and what type of events or vintage markets are held there? Perhaps, if you have time you could respond to my email address.

Any help you could offer me would be greatly appreciated.

With kind regards,
    Roisin Browne

P.S I also have a cavalier king charles! love them 🙂