House update and a new Enid

29 Jan

So, we made an offer on the house with the cool vintage stove and knotty pine kitchen. Unfortunately, the owners weren’t willing to come down very much with their counter offer, and so we had to take a pass. The Mister is very determined that we find a “deal”, and this wasn’t a deal. Too bad, so sad, as they say. I hope that whomever ends up with the kitchen doesn’t tear it right out. (But I doubt it.)

However, every closed door means that another opportunity is out there, and we found a house that the Mister has told me that I am not to get Too Excited About.
001

One thing that you should know about me is that my favorite style of house is a 1930’s Tudor cottage with the peaked roof and the arched doorway. Whenever we pass them in the car, my head whips right around to look at them. I have favorite cottages (several on Woodmont) that I love to drive by and stare at. To me, they look like Mary Englebreit illustrations. But I honestly never hung any hopes on finding one because other people tend to find them equally charming and so they are usually ‘spensive. Which is why this house qualifies as Too Exciting., because it is a foreclosure (therefore expensive but not CRAZY expensive). So, we have made an offer–which does not at all mean that we will get it, because our offer is not the only offer.

It has many awesome features–hardwoods throughout, a two-car detached garage, a formal dining room AND a breakfast room, a newish roof and a basement that seems relatively mold-free. Importantly for me, it has the original kitchen cabinets and they are delightful. (DELIGHTFUL, I say.)

However, the bathrooms are not at all delightful and are, in fact, a total loss (one bathroom has the same shower window problem as Rae’s bathroom–wooden window IN the shower!). The kitchen and breakfast room tile will need replacing and the upstairs will need to be reconfigured to accommodate a master suite with a reasonable bathroom. Which means that I can have these things done exactly the way that I want them.

Having rehabbed one previous home and built one custom home, I don’t find this rehab project particularly daunting, especially because we should be able to get it done before our lease is up on our current rental in June. Of course, everything could go wrong. But people rehab things ALL THE TIME, and it usually ends up fine. In the end. Eventually. It’s probably good that the Mister thinks I’m cute, though. I hope that he will remember that when he’s showering under a garden hose in the yard because we have no working bathroom. (Note to Mark: This totally won’t happen! I’m pretty sure! Don’t divorce me!)

So, if our offer is accepted (and another offer has been made so there is no guarantee, at all!) we will need to get a contractor started on it on March 1. If you know of any reputable contractors who do kitchens and floors in Nashville, I would be so grateful for your recommendations–please pass them along! If we don’t end up getting this house, we will likely need a contractor eventually, so thanks in advance for anyone you can recommend.

In other news, I found several things at the flea market–we went Saturday with the kids, which means a quick run-thru because they have little patience for thrifting in the cold.
003
Amend that; they have little patience for thrifting AT ALL. But they are cute, so I keep ’em around.
003
It’s an Enid Collins Fruit Basket in reasonable shape for a reasonable price. I’m low on darker colored Enid bags to use in the fall and winter, so this one definitely fills a gap. The leather on it is fantastic, but it’s lacking a few gems. Not a tough fix.

So, that’s what’s new around here…we have some more houses to look at and I’ve got to get some new stuff in the booth–more Pyrex, the glass set and huge fork and spoon in a previous post and some other fun stuff. Please send me your contractor recommendations if you have any–I would love the help! xoxo, LaurenT

7 Responses to “House update and a new Enid”

1. jamie@owlreally.com January 29, 2013 at 2:48 pm #

Good luck with the house! It’s really cute! It looks like the ones I like that are near the fairgrounds..? We are listing our house soonish and then we’ll start the process of looking… fun but nerveracking! 🙂

I feel like I’m the last Nashville vintage blogger to meet you in person! We need to fix that. 🙂

• apronstringsvintage January 29, 2013 at 8:31 pm #

Thanks so much re: the house! It is actually in Green Hills, across from Liscomb Academy. I love that ‘hood near the fairgrounds, though. We are in Woodbine now, not far from there.

As for Nashville bloggers, I tend to run into people at estate sales and sort of stammer out an introduction–“Hi, I’m, um, Lauren? And I read your blog and it’s really good and I’m sorry I’m wearing yoga pants in public.” It is a wonder anyone speaks to me, really. But I would love to meet you!

• jamie@owlreally.com January 30, 2013 at 2:40 am #

That’s awesome that it’s in Green Hills!

I live in Woodbine too! 🙂 We’re south of thompson lane and my dream is to be up closer to 440 in one of those old houses!!

I can only make it out to estate sales on Saturdays.. and I’m trying to get better about it! I’m planning to go to the Family Tree sale at their shop on Thursday morning before work, though! I asked Melissa if she would open at 8 instead of 9 so I could make it and she said she would if I promised to come. 🙂 Maybe I’ll see you there??

2. Lisa January 29, 2013 at 7:23 pm #

Bummer about the last house, but maybe it’s better to hold out and get a storybook Tudor like you’ve admired…oh my GOSH, they are gorgeous. And plenty of them in Nashville, for some reason! I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you guys. Also, that Enid is RED. HOT. I love the bowl of fruit in sequins (all future fruit still lives should be done in sequins).

• apronstringsvintage January 29, 2013 at 8:38 pm #

Re: the Tudors…I know, right? This isn’t close to one of the best around. It’s just the only one I’ve ever been able to afford. I do love a midcentury house, though. This house shopping thing is so hard. I like a lot of different things (as long as they are old or vaguely weird…). Today the Mister and I saw a mid-century house in West Meade that had an outdoor courtyard in the middle of the house–all glassed in? So cool. It has been really fun, in a lot of ways.

3. raesock January 30, 2013 at 4:10 am #

that house looks so familiar to me! i have a friend that lives over there so maybe i’ve seen it. i love that style too. i live in woodbine too! just a couple blocks south of Jamie!

• apronstringsvintage January 30, 2013 at 9:26 am #

You can see it right there on Granny White across from Liscomb Academy…it’s down the road from that little row of shops that includes Rhino Books and Copper Kettle. When I saw the picture on the listing, I did the same thing, I was all, “hey, I know I’ve seen that house!”