Woodbine Sale

7 Dec

So, I went to a sale in Woodbine today because it is my ‘hood and I had to represent.  I was the second person in a very short line because there were lots of good sales and apparently few others thought that the Woodbine sale was the good one.  They advertised a lot of glassware, though, and I though I glimpsed a jadeite refrigerator box in one of the photos. Y’all know that I love the jadeite, even though it is a slow seller and has a thin profit margin. I was hoping to make a pretty good haul in general because estate sales will slow down as we get closer to Christmas and the end of the year.

005

Here’s what I got.  The red Pyrex casserole with the lid is a very nice find–that lid is hard to find because it is a little fragile. I’ve come across–and sold–several of the bottom dishes but this is my first set with lid. The coffee and tea canisters are typical of a Hoosier set. I did get the jadeite refrigerator box, and the green glass measuring cup and striped shaker will look good in the booth.  The little lunchbox with the poodles was too cute. And the book is titled “A Naughty Girl.” It’s about a mischievous orphan. Not a sexy mischievous orphan, though. In case you were wondering.  And the round tin was cool, too, I thought.

006

I also got this thing. Do you know what it is? It’s a cast-iron twine or string holder. Some people collect them. I use twine for various things and keep a ball of it on my desk, so for $5, I’m keeping it.

They had a pretty decent Hoosier cabinet at the sale but wanted $350 for it. Sorry, I see a lot of Hoosiers and that was the retail price for that particular one. No Hoosier for me today. I might go back tomorrow and see if it’s still around and if they will drop the price.  This was one of those awkward sales where the family was present. I went into the basement and a man told me that everything they were selling was his wife’s and she died 5 years ago.  I swear, if there is ever a family member or homeowner loitering around an estate sale, they will find me and tell me their sad story. And it seems like they are always in the basement.  One time I was at a sale in Brentwood (in the basement, of course)and the homeowner identified herself and explained to me and the other people looking at a pile of Christmas ornaments that she was selling her house and everything in it because her husband “left her for another woman and took all their money.”  I could not get out of that basement fast enough! TMI.

If you are out and about at the sales, I hope that you find awesome stuff (and no estate sale family members find you! Hint: they hang out in basements). xoxo, LaurenT

7 Responses to “Woodbine Sale”

1. Mark Turcotte December 7, 2012 at 7:38 pm #

You had me at “A Naughty Girl”!

• apronstringsvintage December 7, 2012 at 11:07 pm #

You are the reason I had to explain that it was NOT a sexy orphan book.

2. rae December 7, 2012 at 7:41 pm #

i only had time to get to the crieve hall sale today, i wish i would have tried to hit that one too! i’m sad that the season is winding down.

• apronstringsvintage December 7, 2012 at 11:13 pm #

I’m kind of sad and kind of in need of a break. Keeping the booth full and things moving has been a challenge. I’ve had a ton of stuff at low price points so it’s a lot of work for not a lot of $$. I need to break into selling furniture, I think. But I will need a bigger booth or a second booth for that…the overhead is SO HIGH at GasLamp and it’s not just the percentage they take or the rent (which is going up), it’s the extras they charge you for. They pass on the costs of advertising their special events to their booth tenants–I paid $25 in November for an event that certainly didn’t get me that much in profits.

3. Lisa December 11, 2012 at 9:25 pm #

I ALWAYS overhear/get sucked into/feel horribly guilty as a result of the story about the person who passed away if it’s a family run sale, and sometimes when it’s not! It’s always kind of awkward, seeing as your going through the dearly departed’s closets and desk drawers and things for baubles and such. I’m not trying to be hard hearted at all about the person who passed, which is sad, but I think it’s kind of estate sale conducting 101 NOT to mention the deceased’s extended hospital stay, lack of relatives, sudden heart attack, etc, etc. in front of the customers, especially the easily spooked.

That said, I LO-O-OVE that little tin. And Pyrex with a lid is like…they HAD lids? I NEVER see lids. Good eye, as usual!

• apronstringsvintage December 12, 2012 at 2:20 pm #

It totally IS estate sale conducting 101! Seriously, what is up with that?? Every time it has happened to me, it has been at a professionally-run sale and yet the family STILL insist on loitering around. Super-awkward.

4. Lisa December 11, 2012 at 9:26 pm #